Thread: Are you green?
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 06:25 PM   #72
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I think you have already mentioned that the money has to come from somewhere. So someone will be paying the same - or more - somewhere down the line.

And if those people are the big consumers, they are likely the big spenders, and they won't like it.

The people I know who rant (and rant and rant) about the congestion charge in London are those who have the most money. They talk about "rights" to drive a car in London, and how congestion charging has killed the capital. No word of the fact that thet really just want to drive 6 miles, sitting in traffic, polluting the atmosphere when it would be better for everyone apart from them if they used public transport.

People won't take a long term view, or a community view as long as there is something left to use up. If it's there, people feel entitled to it and sod the consequences. And there is the seductive excuse of, "why should I do x if my neighbour doesn't do y?" Why shouldn't I use disposable carrier bags when other people drive SUVs? Why should I switch the water off when I clean my teeth when footballers drive Ferraris? Because it has to start somewhere.

Sorry, am sad and bitter tonight.