Thread: DIY Deck
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2019, 08:52 PM   #144
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

The corner of the deck where I had to make a number of long angled pieces, that area needs a step. I'm making a simple platform that will be topped with deck boards. The frame will be made from the same pressure treated 2x4s the deck frame was assembled from. Here I'm lining up the cut for the two longest pieces.

Name:  05-IMG_20181216_151116.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  391.2 KB

Next shot is a bit of a "What is this?"

Name:  06-IMG_20181216_151423.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  363.5 KB

Third shot is a clue. A symptom of "What the fuck this is."

Name:  07-IMG_20181216_151438_1.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  167.3 KB

It's a momentary failure of attention and the safety guards built into the saw. I have "chopped" a zillion boards on this saw. Tink bought me this saw--that's how old it is. I have gotten my "money" out of it. It's just a homeowner quality/duty saw. Not garbage, but just adequate. Here's the answer to the question posed in the second pic, the blade guard that normally retracts only enough to expose the spinning blade to the wood when the wood is pressed against the fence. How are you seeing the still blade with the saw in the up position? In the first pic, the guard is covering the blade. Second pic, exposed. Third pic, what happens when you don't notice that the guard isn't covering the blade as it's decelerating. I bet I was more surprised than you are. The mechanism for moving the guard in synchony with the saw's position depends on some cams and levers and guides.... they got a little sticky and stuck *open* this time and that little nick is my reminder.

PAY ATTENTION.

OK, ok, O-K. yeesh.

Obviously I'm not that hurt, really, pfft. But, that saw Does. Not. Give. A. Fraction. Of. A. Fuck. Go on, stick your meat in there. Bzzzzt. Ooooh, damp sawdust? Who the fuck cares? It's red?! Yawn.

Pay attention.

While I'm bleeding down there, up in the roof trusses the birdies are playing house. I found a hummingbird confused and trapped under the bright roof, buzzing and pounding his head on the underside of the roof. This might be his nest, maybe not. I managed to herd him out with the broom.

Name:  08-IMG_20190113_114053-001.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  215.3 KB