View Single Post
Old 05-22-2015, 05:39 AM   #1324
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
The trouble with PMQs, as is pretty self-evident, is that it has long since ceased to be an opportunity for the PM and his/her Government to be held to account and become just a cynical point scoring exercise by all concerned.
It's probably a safe bet that before TV coverage of Parliament it was a fairly civilised process, but when you cram that many Type A personalities, each with a mighty ego, into a confined space before the Nation's gaze, it's unlikely to be mistaken for a vicarage tea party.
Whilst I agree with the first point - from what I have read, TV coverage has, if anything, softened things in many ways. Parliamentary debate, and PMQs in particular have always been vicious and the parties have always expressed their allegiances through mockery and jeering of the opposition.

Quote:
Dennis Skinner, it's fair to say, is never going to be mistaken for a man who has just put down his copy of Debrett's Etiquette, but he speaks with passion and commitment and I admire him for that.
He's now eighty-three and I thought that he would have retired but he's just been re-elected.

I love Skinner. One of the politicians I most admire. Met him once - lovely bloke. Very charismatic in person.

Talking of which - it's funny how TV can affect levels of charisma. Gordon Brown came across quite flat on tv - but when he walked into a hall full of people, it was like a charge went through the room - that man exuded presence and charisma.

I came in here to post some more funny vids. Some Daily Show coverage of the British elections that I found hilarious. It's always interesting viewing our country* through someone else's eyes.

I adore Jordan Klepper. This on the ground report on the election process made choke on my coffee.

it does make me chuckle that one of the defining features of British culture when viewed from outside is our tendency to swear.

Something which Matt Leblanc also pointed out from his time in Britain.

Last edited by DanaC; 05-22-2015 at 06:15 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote