Thread: Bad teachers
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2003, 07:04 PM   #11
warch
lurkin old school

I loved Mr Draughbaugh. I had him for 3rd and 5th grade. He made school fun, and helped me through some health crap. I respected and trusted him, and he respected and supported me.

Ok Tony. Public apology for recommending that you take 12th grade Humanities. When I had it, it was (radically)team taught by a group of teachers - music, art, English, philosophy-that actually seemed interested in the subject matter, making connections, allowing creative projects, and getting us out to museums, theaters, and the like. For me, it was a revolutionarily open classroom. I didnt have the stupid jerk teachers that your class was saddled with. Again, sorry. I thought your chances of having a similarly good experience were high. gulp.

I liked my HS art teacher, Mrs. Doughty, and took her for 3 years, including that Humanities class. She was unconventional to say the least. I remember her tap dancing on the desks to reinforce our need to shade eyesockets in our selfportraits. (She got reprimanded by the assistant Principal who was walking by, and that made her even cooler.) I thought she was one of the smartest, interesting people I had ever met. And she called me on my shit, made me feel like I had some contribution to make. And I made some good freaky art friends. So obviously, a big reason I work with art today.

My worst teacher experience was in 10th grade band. It was sped band. Thats the band made up of all the bad, lazy, second string musicians, and we knew it. And it was led by this guy who was nervous, not respected, and tortured by smart alecky trumpet players. I can see his face, but can't remember his name. He made us play boring Sousa marches. One day he snapped. He bounded back through the band to physically attack this kid. En route he plowed a metal music stand into my face and knocked me to the ground. I had a spit lip. Got all ugly and swollen. He got suspended for a week. And didnt come back the next year. I felt sorry for him, because he truly was being tortured. We had this gross meeting with the administration and he was in tears.

Otherwise, I managed to surf through school making few waves. Average, no standout academically. I never did homework, just slapped shit together before class, few teachers really expected that much. Other than art, No one really challenged me. I was seen as a goof. By 12th grade, I was frustrated and felt that few thought I had a brain or took me seriously. ('cept Tony- he was this gem already at 16, that others could miss or squelch that? unbelievable.)
warch is offline   Reply With Quote