View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #32
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

All I know is that this happened. Here. A Marathon is not war. A Marathon is people doing something for themself: to feel better, to achieve a goal, to work towards something...and the loved ones who were so proud of their achievement.

My sister-in-law ran the Chicago Marathon this year. First time ever. She decided to do it, and so she did. My brother had text by text updates and was able to give her a quick kiss about halfway, and meet her at the finish line. She said the last 2 miles were the hardest thing ever (you don't train the entire 26.2 at all) and she was crying and happy and with the love of her life when she finished. I also followed along on the GPS thing they had set up.

To think that this could have happened there (because it can happen anywhere) and to think how horrifying and devastating it was to those who were there in Boston yesterday...it's hard to fathom. 3 dead, one 8 year old boy, lost limbs, probably some PTSD coming along. I think there may be more fatalities when all is said and done, considering how many are in critical condition.

So I don't find the jokes particularly funny. And I don't appreciate using this as an opportunity to argue about Obama vs Bush vs War vs Fault vs...who the fuck cares right now?

We're so insulated. It happened in Boston. Not down the street from you. They weren't your loved ones, probably. But they were someone's loved ones. What makes me an ineffectual corporate rat also makes me a caring compassionate person. And I am more than disgusted with the evil crap in this world.

Expecting the typicals flames from the typical flamer, but I won't apologize for having cried over such a bullshit cowardly act of murder.

edit: I heard a couple jokes in the office as the news was going around. That's what I was talking about. It reminds me of 9/11 when I had to go work lunch at the Country Club and some asshole came in off the course and wanted to know who we pissed off now, as he chuckled and drank his beer.

Last edited by infinite monkey; 04-16-2013 at 07:27 AM.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote