View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Heard this on the radio this morning.
When I was married I wanted to go on a fly-and-drive holiday in the States. <snip> It involved driving through Death Valley. <snip> Still; hot, hot, hot, don't like. Hope anyone driving through now has a well-serviced car and air conditioning.
As an over-worked mom, I am clueless about what is happening in the world unless one of my kids, or you guys, tell me about it. I knew it was hot yesterday, just shy of 100 by my backyard thermometer, and I had a touch of the heat exhaustion, but had not heard we were having a heat wave. (We are used to one or two hot days at a time and then it cools down again.)

Today, around 1 pm, it was on the 100 mark. I went across the street to the public pool and did my exercise. I couldn't touch the handrail next to the pool stairs because it was too hot.

It was tempting to just hunch down in the cool water and nap, but my head was still too hot and I got tired of the sweat dripping into my eyes . . .

Anyway, Sundae Death Valley is still here and you can still fly over and drive through. If you come stay with me, it would be about an 8 1/2 hour drive to get there, but you could do it in a weekend. See:

My Death Valley traverse was in an old van, no AC, with the engine cover in the van in between the driver's and passenger's seats. Even when the weather was cold that engine cover was so hot that you could almost get burned touching it.

So, we've got the hot air outside and the engine cover blasting heat on the inside. It was difficult to tell which was hotter.