View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #11
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
fuck the bridge- this is much more important and interesting and will bring dollars to the area. I think it's really cool they found something like this here in 'merica where nothing is older or wiser than your average 20 year old.
I've spent my life along the coast of California. All of this land was once inhabited by Native Americans, my ancestors.

In one small town, where the land was cheap, they had the bright idea to build an open-air mall with stores below and condos above. When doing a project like this in this area, a Native American (or an expert?) must be on hand in case anything appears in the digging.

In this case, the mall was to be built on land that had been inhabited by the Ohlone. There was a big to-do about the whole thing. Some said it was sacred land and others claimed it was the village dump due to the number of fractured shell pieces.

The mall was built, the area was named Shellmound because that is what it had been and a monument was in place to honor and inform visitors about the Ohlone that had once lived there.

The mall did not do well. It has struggled to survive all these years. Every so often there is a protest against the mall being on Native land.

When do we move on? We can't preserve every bit of land that had been inhabited by other people or we'd never have any place to live.

Look at the digs they are doing in (Israel? I can't remember now.) where they are digging undeveloped land in the middle of a city. The old city continues on under the developed areas.

It is a tricky balance.

They need the bridge and they need to uncover and discover the city that was found. Hopefully, they can find a way to do both before they completely destroy each other and the project.