Thread: Uber Killing
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2018, 10:42 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I saw a picture yesterday where somebody went to the scene and took a handheld picture with their phone in HDR mode so show more closely what a human eye would have seen. This is that photo. You can see multiple shadows of the photographer, not using a tripod.

I think that video footage is not terribly accurate at showing what a human would see. Much darker. The road is divided with vegetation in the middle, so there were no headlights of oncoming traffic blinding a driver. I think a human would have seen the woman much earlier than it seems in the video.

The woman was jaywalking at night in front of a car, but I think I would have seen her based on the phone camera photo.
That's definitely the spot, right where the white line on the right turns from solid to broken. The phone camera and onboard video are using very different lenses. The video lens make the building look much further away and much darker. Of course the car doesn't use what the video camera sees, but I agree the phone picture makes me think if the driver was paying attention he would have seen her much sooner and at least scrubbed off some speed if not swerve around her.