View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
Ocean's Edge
is a beach

my ex was frugal....very frugal

some men used their fists to beat up their wives, some use their cheque books
He did very very well with the money he had - later as a single mom, I envied him those skills, and I'd hear his words ringing in my ears "If I let you have access to the money, we'd be broke inside of six months!"

It took me a while, but I finally figured out that to be like him - I'd have to be like him... a skinflint, tight ass, cheap bastard who resented every dime he had to spend on his wife and kids....

I didn't want to be like him

Him and I are now largely like a pair of 5 yr olds with credit cards, when we have money we tend to spend it, when we don't we do without - neither one of us has the 'proper respect' for money - we have a tendency to view it as a tool - a means to an end - rather than the goal itself. I know I know - crazy talk ... but we know that's what we are, and we're both completely content to send the last $25 we've got to help some poor dog's surgery in Nashville, or some cheery thing we've always wanted *shrug*

(all that said we don't deliberately throw money away either - and we tend to at least make a reasonable effort to buy wisely while we're busy spending)