View Single Post
Old 08-22-2011, 03:04 AM   #8
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Sounds AWESOME.

I regularly attend an alternative festival called confest. You could check a few you-tube videos for a glimpse.

It sounds quite similar - accoustic music, lots of hand-drumming, oddball freaks wearing whatever, or nothing at all, and maybe 2 or 3,000 people for a week or more so the community gets really stong (and about half are long-term repeat attenders, so we all know each other anyway).

I've seen people completely naked, I've seen them covered in mud and body paint, I've seen them dancing in the puddles in the rain. I've seen boobies with eyeballs painted on them, and a guy with a smiley face on the end of his willie.

I've absorbed theatrical performances, I've joined in percussion jams and danced til dawn around a fire. I've been to music workshops and yoga classes and dance classes. I've been the subject of a Freak-Out by the Mud Tribe Ape-Men. I've politely nodded to an incredible amount of new age BS. One guy combines buckyballs, sacred geometry, cosmic vibrations AND 2012!! Far out, mannnnn.

I've helped build the first aid tent and dig the mud pit. I've treated heatstroke patients and cut feet. I've helped people fix tents, and shared food, water, and anything else that er um nothing. I've seen a mass reaction to a fire on a terrible fire-day (45+ degrees with blasting gale winds), shovels and buckets holding the line until our on-site firetruck arrived.

If it is needed, or wanted, it WILL appear. There seems to be some factor when enough people are bouncing around, things find where they are needed, or something.

Dammit, next one is not until December. Now I'm all daydreaming again.

Oh wait! Burningman is coming Downunder! I think it is early November. I'll have to see if I can make it.

Man, this office SUCKS.