View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #65
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
Eight, if you know what you're doing.
Quote:
A perfect shuffle occurs when the deck is divided exactly in half, and the cards are perfectly interlaced, with one card coming from one hand, then one card coming from the other hand, then one card coming from the first hand, etc. There are two types of perfect shuffles, the "in-shuffle" and the "out-shuffle." Let's assume that the deck is divided in two with the top cards going into the left hand and the bottom cards into the right hand. Then an in-shuffle begins with the first card coming from the left, the second from the right, the third from the left, etc. An out-shuffle begins with the first card coming from the right. If the right hand originally took the top cards, then the definitions are reversed (the in-shuffle begins with the first card coming from the right...). It has been shown that eight perfect out-shuffles returns the 52-card deck to its original order. Apparently, it takes more in-shuffles to do that.
I'm not calculating this scenario based on professional magicians doing elaborate card tricks. I'm talking about people playing a hand of cards, and then shuffling a few times, and then playing another hand. And, maybe they drop them on the floor, or one of the cards get bent, etc.

Saying the possible shuffles is 52! assumes randomness, which isn't entirely accurate, but it's more believable than a series of "perfect" shuffles.

If one card gets out of order in your series of "perfect" shuffles, you've started down the long road of 8.06581751709439 e+67 permutations.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote