View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #117
Adak
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
But if Adak doesn't keep his "death panels" and "Grandma" fables going,
he would be giving lie to another of his most recent secret fears...

All three of these false rumors come from the same person, Betsy McCaughey
... as was pointed out by UT in post #4 of this thread ( in this link )
Frankly, I didn't think about a "death panel" at all, until I heard Obama say "maybe we just send Grandma home with a pain pill, instead" (of an expensive treatment).

That was your boy, right there. In broad daylight. I'm not sure about the word "Grandma" however. He sort of slurred that one word.

Then I heard about these commissions in Great Britain. They decide what treatments (if they're expensive), will be used, for what type of patients. The older you get, the fewer expensive treatments you qualify for, or the longer you have to wait.

Which I fully understand - you have to manage costs in any insurance plan, whether it's ACA or not. But when the public cheered Obama right after he said that, I was quite sure that they didn't understand just what he was saying would be done here.

Because 95% of the time, the "send them home with a pain pill" will be "send them home to die", since the expensive treatment for the elderly would probably be a cancer treatment, or a transplant of some kind.

You post a link to ONE, just ONE article from ANY Great Britain newspaper or BBC, about a NHS patient over the age of 65 years, who received a bone marrow transplant, or an organ transplant, and I'll re-consider the validity of what I've been hearing (and read on line).

I believe you'll find there are none, unless it was done overseas. You know, in some advanced health care country - like the US.

Australia has a two-tier system. Everyone has a basic NHS service account, but if you want very good health care, you better have your private insurance account, as well. It can get pretty ugly pretty fast, otherwise, for the important stuff.The medical care is OK, but the waiting periods are dreadfully long.
Adak is offline   Reply With Quote