View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 10:01 AM   #5834
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'M GOING BACK INTO EDUCATION!
Yay me

Okay, it's only one day a week from 09.30-14.00, but it's for a qualification in learning support, so it's very relevant. In fact you can only do the course if you have a school placement. Luckily my voluntary work counts.

It's a real commitment as it runs for 26 weeks, but if I find work in that time I will have to cross that bridge when I come to it. Frankly if I get paid work as a teaching assistant and have to give up the course I'll still be delighted anyway, to be back in work and doing the job I love. I get my fees waived because I am out of work - it would be £570 otherwise (gasp!) I might even qualify for help with course materials.

How amazing is that? Course starts 16 September. Woohoo!
Of course this is only if the course gets enough attendees... this could all be cancelled if not

Quote:
CACHE - Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools

Quick course information
Course date: 16 Sep 2010
Course time: 09:30 - 14:00
Course duration: 26 weeks
Course Days: Thursday
Category: Childcare
Price: £570
Spaces available: Yes
Course Level: 2
Length: 120 hours

This course aims to:
•Provide a recognised qualification at level 2 for people who support teaching and learning in schools.
•Recognise the essential support work that is carried out in schools in helping children achieve their potential.
•Support roles such as class room assistants, learning and support assistants.
•Develop knowledge that will be desirable for voluntary and paid workers.

It is for… learners who are working in a school at Foundation Stage or Key Stages 1-4 for at least 60 hours per unit. This could be as an employee or volunteer. You will need to be in a school setting working directly with children for 120 hours in total. You will be required to complete a literacy and numeracy assessment as part of the course induction.

During the course… you will discuss how the role of a teaching assistant supports children’s learning in a school setting. You will work on your own, in pairs and small groups to explore aspects of the course. You will be expected to undertake reading, private study and assignment tasks in your own time.

By the end of the course you will be able to explain:
•The role of the teaching assistant in supporting teaching and learning.
•How inclusion, equality and positive behaviour can be promoted for all pupils in schools.
•Child development and its effect on learning.
•The importance of learning activities.
•How to support learning in relation to the school Curriculum.
•The development of children and young people and factors that might affect development.
•The importance of play in development and learning.
•The importance of observation and recording to support learning and development in schools.
•How to support pupils through transitions.
•How communication skills develop between the ages of 0 to 16 years.
•The importance of communicating with children and young people, in order to develop positive relationships.
•The importance of developing positive relationships through managing communication with adults.
•The effects of legislation on the school’s policies and procedures for keeping children safe.
•The responsibility of all staff within the school to keep children and young people safe within the school environment.
•The responsibility of all staff within the school to safeguard pupils from harm.
•The importance of managing children’s behaviour to keep them safe.
•Roles and responsibilities to provide support for colleagues.
•The difference between personal and professional relationships.
•The types and structures of communication used with the school.
•Why and how you need to continuously improve your work.

After the course… progression routes will be advised during the course due to changes in the sector currently being confirmed.

For the first session please bring… pens, pencils, paper and a lever arch file. You will also need to bring a packed lunch.

You will need to obtain copies of the following policies and procedures from your school.
•Safeguarding pupils including managing disclosure
•Risk assessment
•Accidents, emergencies and reporting procedures
•Childhood illness
•Good hygiene practice
•Diets and allergies
•Safe moving and handling of pupils
•Emergency procedures for fires, security incidents and missing pupils or persons
•Harmful substances / hazardous materials and disposal of waste
•Maintenance and appropriate use of equipment
•Taking pupils out of the school
•Safety and security for the arrival and departure of pupils
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote