View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 01:28 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Aug 22, 2009: Biking Mashatu

Mountain Biking is a healthy activity... all that fresh air and sunshine... communing with nature... enjoying the flora and fauna.
When mountain Biking through the Mashatu Game Reserve (that's in Botswana) you have to pay particular attention to the fauna... they'll eat you.

Quote:
When mountain biking legend Hans Rey set off on a safari free-riding trip through southern Africa, he couldn’t know what to expect. “I had ridden amongst wild animals on several occasions over the years, usually in a semi controlled environment, where we either had a vehicle nearby or the chances were unlikely that I would ride into the lion’s den,” says Rey. “Well, this time was different.”

Sleeping in the open bush land – sometimes directly under the star-clustered sky – may sound idyllic, but when hyenas are prowling around close enough to leave pawprints just metres from your camp, reality bites. “We all made sure that we’d stay near one of the rifles at all times,” explains Rey, because if you leave the group you become part of the food chain – meals on wheels as it were.
I vote for the air conditioned tour bus.
Better yet, looking at chrisinhouston's pictures from the comfort of home.

link