View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 08:51 PM   #16
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Nice lesson. Dang me! Doesn't sound like folks I'd be to keen to be around. Big problem are they?
Well, in some ways yes, in some ways no. They are not as strong as they'd hoped to be at this stage (like most fringe parties with an underlying revolutionary tendency). They never get anywhere in national politics, but they do get a few (very small number) of council seats in the local elections. We had three on our council up to last year we're down to one now :P They tend to cause trouble f they have an area they're strong in. Generally, these tend to be either in areas that are almost entirely white working class usually with a nearby 'asian area'. Or...little englanders in leafy middle class villages.

The ones who actually stand for office aren't so much of a problem, it's their supporters and activists. And their leaders of course. One of whom told his party activists that the battle for the hearts and minds of the North (where they were starting to make a bid for council seats) would be 'won with boots and fists on the streets of Burnley".

These days they're more careful. They walk a fine line between what is legal and illegal. Occassionally one of em steps on the wrong side of that line. What's more worrying than they themselves, is how many more people are openly supportive of them, even if tghey won't vote for them. They may detest the nazi elements, but they do agree on the racist policies.

They only an electoral threat in a few places and then, really at a local level. They're a threat to me, as they have a sizable presence in the ward I represent. In fact my getting back involved in party politics was as a way of fighting their rise in my borough. When i won my election, they were less than 100 votes behind me. They didn't do quiote as well last year.

Reason they tend to bring a pub down? Because the grass roots activists aren't always so easy to persuade away from the less savoury aspects of their politics:P
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote