View Single Post
Old 10-16-2003, 09:40 AM   #40
warch
lurkin old school

Based on FBI data, nearly 1.7 million guns have been reported stolen in the past ten years, and only 40% of those were recovered. The missing guns, over 80% of which are taken from homes or cars most likely fuel the black market for criminals. NEA, AGS and the National Rifle Association advocate for safe storage.

Conceal and carry also adds risk by allowing and encouraging easier access for both the owner, and those around him/her. If the owner suffers a moment of rage, there is immediate and convienent access. Also daily carried guns, stored in bags, holsters, and cars are less secure and increase the risk of loss or theft- whether by criminal or baby... Like your keys, your wallet, your cellphone, your car.

I'm not for banning all guns. I'm for rational control of gun proliferation, better enforcement of gun sale laws and background checks. I'm for letting law enforcement decide, case by case, who can get a permit for concealed handguns.

I'm for supporting law enforcement in the prosecution of gun crimes and most of all, for real, effective crime prevention- early intervention, education, health services. You can pay for it now, or you can pay much more for it later.

Going deer hunting with your uncle, Having your secured gun in your home for protection, or enjoying the sport of target shooting with your girlfriend is different than making it legal for citizens of a community to socially interact while armed with hidden deadly handguns.

Why are guns banned from courthouses? Why are guns banned from stadiums? Why is that venue's risk considered more important than the public's Target parking lot? (no pun intended) If concealed weapons pose no greater risk, why are there metal detectors popping up everywhere?

from the Centers for Disease Control:
The rate of firearm deaths among kids under age 15 is almost 12 times higher in the United States than in 25 other industrialized countries combined.

American kids are 16 times more likely to be murdered with a gun, 11 times more likely to commit suicide with a gun, and nine times more likely to die from a firearm accident than children in 25 other industrialized countries combined.

oh, sorry. found the above stats collected at the National Education Association website.

Last edited by warch; 10-16-2003 at 09:50 AM.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote