View Single Post
Old 05-07-2019, 12:27 PM   #8
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Overall, Id say the series fell a little flat for me. It was okay, and there were some episodes I liked. but it never hit the heights of other series - didn't hit the lows either.

I started out really liking her Doctor - but as the series progressed, i felt like her Doctor didn't. I can't quite put my finger on what was missing but it felt a bit thin in the end.

Almost every other series had episodes I flat out loved and would put in my favourites list -and also had episodes that flat out sucked and I would advise people never to watch (Love and Monsters, anyone?) But there was always something about the series that stayed with me after it had finished, and that hasn't happened this time.

When I first watched Capaldi's opening series, I disliked the overall series arc, but I loved his Doctor and the way he and Clara worked together - I didn't rate the series plot, but I loved the character development. On rewatch, I now like that first series a lot more and appreciate the series arc much more than I did initially.

Whittaker's first outing had some half decent individual episodes and a little it of character development for two of the companions, but for the most part, I don;t feel like it went anywhere. It didnt leave me with the Doctor Who feels.

It seemed like they didn't really have a handle on how to write her character -- and also didn't have that much in the way of individual plots or series arc -

I can do without a series arc, if the individual episodes are strong and I can do without strong individual episodes if the series arc carries enough force - and either of those can slip if you give me a decent character study

I didn't feel like this series fully delivered on any of those aspects.

Maybe I'll revise that opinion on a rewatch - or maybe the second series will retrospectvely make the character make sense for the first series, the way Capaldi's first series snapped into place with the character development it led to in series 2 and 3. Hell, he is now my all time favourite Doctor - but it will take something special to make that happen.

@ 3foot; with regards to his writing lacking complexity - I actually agree now,having seen the whole series. It's surprising given the depth of some of his other works - but his Doctor Who lacks depth.

It doesn't have any of the sense of mythos and mystery that Davies and Moffatt brought to it. Maybe that's deliberate -maybe it's an attempt to bring the Doctor back to the classic scale of a wanderer helping out wherever she lands. But it doesn't quite have the charm of the original to make up for the loss of scale.

Last edited by DanaC; 05-07-2019 at 12:36 PM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote