Thread: Alaska
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #8
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Sounds like a very good view of Alaska. I like the way it hits Denali a couple times in case the clouds don't cooperate. They can be thick and low on some days, which obscures the peaks. I'd skip the rafting too.

The only thing that sounds strange is the train accommodations on days 5 and 9 but that's minor. the Alaska railroad is pretty nice. A friend of my uncles was an engineer for them and had tales galore.

The only things they miss that I would recommend are Valdez, the north slope, and The University of Alaska at Fairbanks, but we're talking about a huge increase it travel/time.
The UofA Fairbanks has a great museum and they test seeds for all the majors seed companies because of the 24 hours of daylight. The flowers are fantastic.

All told it sounds like a great trip.

I've never been on a train! I'm ok with the travels. I'd rather do that than a damn bus. There's no way to avoid it, though, if I am not driving. I'm sure I'd save more money if I rented a car. I just have no interest in getting lost in the Alaskan wilderness. Also, I'm lazy.

Another thing to note is that this trip is scheduled for early September. I wanted a chance to see the northern lights, but I think I'll be too early for that Maybe I'll leave that for my Iceland trip in 2020.

I think 10 days will be plenty, so I'll have to save those other places for another trip Maybe a summer Alaska trip!!

Thanks for the input! I'm happy to know it looks like a goodun!!