Thread: Winning
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 11:46 PM   #24
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
wow. I don't value "winning" or "competition" at all. I wouldn't teach it to my kids and I don't think I did. I value thoughtfulness, compassion, self-realization, and fairness much more, and probably a whole bunch of other stuff ranks higher too.

I'm actually pretty appalled at this philosophy that winning=success. It certainly doesn't represent success to me. However, if it's important to you, fine, teach your kids that--we all teach our kids those things that are important to us. Maybe it's a personality thing.
I'm not sure if you were responding to me with this post Cloud, but I think you might have been.

I don't think that just the fact of winning means you're successful. I did say that I feel it's a really complex issue, but I try to teach my kids to try their best, and if winning is a benefit of that, then that's nice for them too. It's certainly not the be all and end all, but I think it's naive to think that our society isn't set up to have us all compete for things right throughout our lives. As fresh put it, it carries through to adulthood when we're looking for jobs which for most of us is a competition which is generally very important to try to win. Knowing you did your best doesn't put food on the table if you don't get the job.

So I guess what I'm saying is that it'd be nice to be all 'hippy' about things - and I say that with no disrespect what so ever - but the reality is that there are some things in life that we really need to win, and kids need to be taught that urgency so that they don't grow up to be useless.