View Single Post
Old 07-10-2015, 05:26 PM   #8
Pamela
Deplorable

You are mostly right Clod.

Such data is stolen so often that procedures are in place for it. It is still a good idea to use a credit monitoring service, and banks and credit card companies have internal fraud departments that are on the ball.

BUT

When background check info is stolen the thieves get a LOT more than just a few numbers. They get ALL your information, even stuff you forgot about, like grade schools, grades, neighbors, habits, dirty secrets (yes, the FBI knows your browsing habits!) and what your employers and friends/relatives say about you behind your back. Depending on security level, they really check you.

I once had a G-man ask me about a neighbor who was getting a background check and I was his paperboy, for Pete's sake. I barely knew his name, where he liked his paper and how prompt he was at paying and what kind of tipper he was.

Imagine now what nefarious uses such complete information might be put.

Might not some people be turned to spy? Blackmail? Extortion? Finding someone to kidnap and interrogate?

No, this particular hack might not affect you or me, but it WILL harm national security, endanger all manner of employees and agents and pay rich dividends to foreign countries for years to come.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote