Thread: VOTE!
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 07:49 AM   #94
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

My theory is that politics is replacing religion as a source of spiritual guidance and a place people are looking for meaning. My theory is that this is really dangerous.

Because overlaid on that is humanity's tribal nature; which tells us, subconsciously, that there must be an enemy to be fought, and finding and outing/fighting that enemy is part of what we will do to survive in the long run.

We see that, in human behavior, there are always enemies and our instinct is to destroy them. It is our destiny. And this has created all the greatest inhumanities of history.

Now, without an obvious enemy, and without a spiritual calming force to guide the behavior that allows us to find agreement, behave, and get along, we are turning on ourselves.

Today everyone believes that the "other side" is reprehensible. Both sides have different sets of facts. Both sides unfairly malign the other. It has started to come to violence. We are looking to ban speech and silently cheering when people get assaulted.

OMG, HARD LIBERALS are DEMANDING BIG CORPORATIONS ACT AS CENSORS! What the hell is happening??? Where ARE we???

Politics has gotten people angry over NFL football. NFL football!! What the HELL. This is the sport where we create fake tribes and go to fake war. It's supposed to be a relief valve, people! How can NFL fuckin' football be making things worse?

It's a shit time we're in. Well, I'm not taking sides. I believe we're all on the same side. To demonstrate that fully, I must say, in the strongest terms, that I'm not a part of this. I am trying to demonstrate a way to be.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote