View Single Post
Old 02-11-2007, 11:04 PM   #81
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Mr. Michael Lind talks about this topic in a current edition of bloggingheads.tv (don't click unless you enjoy watching an hour of nothing but political discussion)

I was so impressed by Lind's thoughts on this that I transcribed a bit:

And THAT, Mr. Radar, is how WW1, WW2 and the Cold War threatened Liberty, and the real reason they had to be fought.

Similarly, some level of War on Terror has to be fought -- whether it's military, or police/intelligence -- partly because losing a WTC every five years (or whatever) is not an acceptable loss in our economy, but mostly because the country can't stand an ever-increasingly potent Patriot Act every five years.
That Mr. Undertoad, this is less than a poor excuse to be involved in those wars, but topic at hand isn't those wars, it's America's unwarranted, unjustified, unprovoked, and unconstitutional involvement in Iraq that is both unAmerican, and unlibertarian.

The author's laughable premise is that if we didn't practice tyranny and military interventionism abroad, we'd have to do it at home. That's utterly ridiculous and the exact opposite is true. If we weren't going around the world making enemies, we wouldn't have to worry about attacks at home.

America's unwarranted military interventionism always has unpredictable, and unwanted consequences. It was America's involvement in WWI, that created the conditions that allowed Hitler to come to power and make WWII. It was because of WWII, that we had to develop nukes, and this led to the cold war. It was because of the cold war that we had the Korean war, and we armed and trained Osama Bin Laden, and put him on the CIA payroll. America put Noriega, Khadafi, Hussein, and Khomeni in power due to our meddling in the affairs of other nations.

If we mind our own damn business, we don't have to have a bloated, military creating empires and certainly wouldn't have to infringe on the liberties of Americans at home. Our freedoms are not up for grabs, and aren't for the government to take or even to decide upon.

UG, not only was what UT posted not "well said", it bordered on being retarded.