Thread: IotD changes
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

IotD changes

Over the last few weeks I've been considering dropping IotD altogether. It's become a bit too much to handle, and I've gotten pretty tired after over six years of doing it.

Last week Neatorama was hit with a copyright violation, and they are changing how they link, using more thumbnails and avoiding copyrighted images as much as possible. Alex at Neato looked into it and it's something like $2000 for a site like the Cellar/IotD to license an entire AP feed.

This bugs me because I do realize that IotD is often a terrible copyright violator. I have tried to ask permission from obvious copyright holders, even paid for a few shots here and there.

I think I could still do IotD with non-copyrighted images, but it just makes it that much harder to do.

Instead, what I've done is to open IotD for anyone to post to, except Cellar newbs.

Anybody can post an image at any time, as long as:

A) the title format is respected, with the Monthname Day, Year: title.

B) no copyrighted images -- unless you get permission. I urge people who find interesting shots to ask the photographers for permission. Often they are happy to grant permission as long as the copyright is noted on the post, and they get a link to their site.

C) of course, no spam; anything resembling promotion will be deleted right away.

D) in a strange twist, threat rating is ON in this section (it's off everywhere else), and if a thread is poorly rated it will be removed. What's poorly rated? I don't know. We probably should discuss it. Anyway, look for the new "rate thread" tab, and if you like, go and rate the old IotDs. and be sure to rate any new ones as well.

Images should be presented as attachments or as hosted elsewhere; I will make an effort to move this to be hosted on Cellar in order to prevent the images from going away, abuse, etc.

This is the easiest way to handle this; a better way would be to set up some complicated moderation system. I just don't have time!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote