View Single Post
Old 05-25-2005, 08:12 AM   #1619
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

It's a childhood thing. I had a Tonka dumper, front end loader and ladder (fire) truck as a child. Big boy toys and all that.

The semi has to wait a little bit for the VA to do their job first. Another week should do it, or so they claim. But unemployment was boring so I got a UTT job hauling waste rock from a mine to a slag pile. It's $15/hr, variable hours. Pays the bills and leaves me some to put aside for paying to fix my life. Two goals left to go! Details will be posted on my update thread when there is news to report. Should be the last two goals will happen within a week of each other as both are ready and only require a large infusion of money to complete.

And this is a large truck. Not as large as you see on Modern Marvels but large nonetheless. I wish I had a camera handy when another driver dumped his load (truck and all) over the edge of the slagheap. It would have been funnier if he hadn't gotten blood all over the cab because he didn't wear the seat belt, but he survived and the truck will be back in service as soon as they put a new drive axle on it. To explain, he got too close to the edge, which crumbled under him when he lifted the bucket. The center of gravity was high at that point and the whole thing went ass over teakettle down the hill, about 100 feet down. Made a hell of a racket too. I heard it clearly over the noise of my own truck, which is none too quiet.

In any case, I have three job offers for driving semis on my table right now and I could have more if I wanted them. As soon as I get my diploma (required paper to be hired due to insurance) I will choose one lucky winner and off I go! I'll post a picture of the truck I get to drive (and terrify you four-wheelers with) when I have it ready. The only thing I still need to fit out the truck is a good CB and a laptop. Those will be coming soon!

Brian