Thread: The Quest
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2006, 12:02 AM   #47
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Well...since you asked :grin:

I have been at my new position now for about two weeks. You know that song, Henry the Eighth? "Second Verse, same as the First!" Well, this position is just like the one I left. In fact, I reckon my experience there gave them confidence that I was the right pick for them. I am the Lone Ranger again, just ridin' a different range. I have a new actor in the role of Tonto wrangling the databases, just like before.

There's been considerable culture shock, adjusting to the new tribal customs (no company provided coffee. WTF?! Have to join the "coffee club". What-evah.) My commute time/distance about tripled. Don't cry. It was 5 miles and 10 minutes before. I was...spoiled. But gas was south of $3/gal back then, too, so you can get a little misty if you wish. Work is fine, pay is fair (not so-so, equitable-ish).

I got the lead from craigslist of all places. I love the internet. Phone interview, then scheduled face interview (group interview, co-owners and Tonto vs me. It wasn't fair, but I took it easy on them.) Wait. Wait. Wait for fingernails to heal. Wait some more. Get phone call indicating an offer is in the mail. Leave town . Let them wait. Respond enthusiastically to offer. Counteroffer. Agree on counteroffer. Start next morning. :cue heavenly music: Breathe.

It is a small company, family owned, and they are at that difficult in between size where they have a lot of computers for a lot of people, and the attendant needs for the inevitable computer failures and frustrations to be resolved. In general, I have a distaste for those that make the money on their on the misery of others, but I have been able to justify my work by emphasizing the good I do. But I am thankful they have problems. So are my creditors.

Speaking of which--we've been melting the credit cards, folks. Ever charge your house payment? It's a bad habit, trust me. I can't wait to pay down that mountain of debt. One. Bite. At. A. Time. I am allergic to debt. Like other power tools, it can make some jobs easier, but you can get in trouble doubledamnquick, and some of those things *don't* grow back. I don't think there will be any permanent scarring, but my new quest is to make that number go down down down.

I'm so, so happy to be working again. Work doesn't define my existence, but I do like the validation of my professional worth and we all know money makes the world go round. It's good. 's good.

Last edited by BigV; 04-26-2006 at 12:39 AM. Reason: speling
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote