View Single Post
Old 01-06-2006, 04:12 PM   #7
Badgerino
Complex Simpleton

why not me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Why is always the big question. Why him/her? What did they do to deserve that? Or in the extreme, why them and not me?
It's easier to answer if the deceased is old or been sick a long time. Especially tough to answer when it's one of those "shit happens" things like a tree falling or getting hit by lightning.
Quite often it ends up the only explanation is, shit happens or God's will. You have to figure out what works for you.
I knew a man my age about 10 years ago who was a very devout Christian and was dying of cancer. He said that people asked him if he ever asked, "Why me?" and his reply was, "Why not me?" The Bible says that the rain falls and the sun shines upon the just and the unjust. Just a nice religious way of saying that "shit happens". Sometimes what goes around comes around and sometimes it doesn't. The most absurd saying is that everything happens for a reason: Duh! Of course it does, but not everything happens for a purpose.
Or even better is the "if it's my time, it's going to happen". To which I answer,
"then why look both ways or even at all when you cross a street because after all if it's your time to die, it's your time."

9/11 taught this country that we are not living in Neverland anymore. People had been dying all over the world from terrorism, but we remained relatively unscathed. But then we hold American lives more dear than people in the rest of the world hold their lives. Also, we would not give an all-American looking boy such as Timothy McVeigh a second look if he sat down next to us on a bus.
But those towel wearing A-rabs are a different story. Amazingly, not all the peoples in the Mideast are Arabs, but they get tarred with the same brush.

9/11 was our "welcome to the club", welcome to what many nations of the world had been enduring for many years. After 9/11 the world had an empathy and good feeling for us that could have lasted for a generation, but good old George has thrown that away.
Don't care what the rest of the world thinks of us? Might want to think about that again if countries start deciding to use the Euro as the currency for world debt rather than the US dollar. Money talks.
Badgerino is offline   Reply With Quote