View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
rditlkustoleit
Violator of Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudcon View Post
I didn't say man can't hurt the planet, I'm just stating facts that consensus by researchers vying for research grants is not science.
Amen!
-----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtimer View Post
Got to back up Spudcon on this one. I lived over there for several years and saw the filth that piles up everywhere. And nobody cares. "I don't like the stink and the garbage and the ROUS's running about, but it's not MY problem; The government will do something about it someday" is the general attitude.
Agreed!
I think we have to keep in mind that there is still a very large rural/farmer/peasant population in China. It is not uncommon when they eat at home or for what passes as a restaurant to spit their food out on the floor during the meal if there is a bone, etc. they do not want to swallow. It's really gross, they hock it up, spit it out and are unfazed. I started looking at the floor like a mine field, plotting my exit strategy. Squatting in the field and relieving oneself then going right to the meal table is also not uncommon.

The point is that it may take the next generation or two to bring these populations up to speed on even personal hygiene and basic etiquette. Bringing their awareness and caring to garbage and landfill issues is certainly out of their scope at this point in their development.