Thread: Cool Weapons
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2019, 03:16 AM   #1497
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

I got lucky - a 2nd generation Colt 3rd Model Dragoon - C series. It is unfired in the original box. Cylinder even looks unturned. I picked it up for less than what I would have paid for a Uberti. I definitely will be holding on to this horse pistol to pass down. Here's a breakdown on what a C Series 2nd Generation is -

The production of the Colt 2nd Generation Black Powder reproductions took place in three stages. Initially, Colt Industries tested the waters with Val Forgett's help to build their first "C" Series 1851 Navy reproductions in the 1971-1973 time frame, which had included the now very collectible Grant and Lee Navy sets. These revolvers had the barrels, cylinders, and backstraps cast in Italy, but were finished off at Colt's facilities in Hartford, CT. where Forgett had the the frames, the center pins, nipples, all of the screws, springs made and built for every "C" Series gun at Colt Manufacturing. However, in late 1973, Colt Manufacturing Co. decided to seek a new supplier of components, and Lou Imperato, Colt's largest distributor at the time, was about to take over production.
Beginning in 1974, Lou Imperato replaced Val Forgett as Colt's supplier of components to build their percussion revolvers. These revolvers were completed in exactly the same way as all of their previously made 2nd Generation percussion revolvers – AT COLT'S FACILITIES - from 1974 to 1976. They had the barrels, cylinders, and backstraps cast in Italy and were finished off at Colt's facilities in Hartford, CT. where Imperato had the frames, the center pins, nipples, all of the screws, and springs made for every "C" Series gun.
The guns produced in this time frame were packaged in wood grain, cardboard boxes. The relationship with Imperato continued until Colt discontinued their entire "C" Series line of percussion revolvers in 1976.