View Single Post
Old 09-22-2015, 08:24 AM   #6
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
What's your take on the VW emissions cheating scandal, tw?
GM did things similar to cover up their bad gas mileage numbers. For example, a Corvette would detect less acceleration, then assume this was an EPA mileage test. Computer would change engine parameters and bypass second gear to make their mileage appear higher.

I routinely exceed Honda's EPA highway mileage numbers in local driving. But I could never obtain GM's highway mileage in their cars. All consumers could see this. But most consumers ignore facts and numbers (observe so many who pay the highest prices for gasoline in Wawa, Sheets, Costco, Hess, US Gas, Giant, Turkey Hill, Valero, etc).

This particular VW event is not observable by consumers. However, how many spend massively on a surge protector for their computers ... that does not even claim to protect from destructive surges. How many buy probiotics that have no proven benefits. Or supplements in health food store when most do not even have what they claim on the label (that lie is legal). How many buy something because it creates a healthy heart? That only means it does not kill you; never says it improves health.

Scams are easy. Consumers would not know about VWs fraud. But then consumers even ignore scams that should be obvious to them - if for no other reason because they demand numbers.

Why did so many GM owners just assume EPA highway mileage could not be obtained - and call that acceptable? Most all but set themselves up to be scammed. Need we cite Listerine?

Apparently the VW scam was identified by researchers in the University of West Virginia by doing testing on platforms different from what the EPA uses. Later it was exposed that the computer intentionally changed engine parameters to 'fake' emission tests. This is apparently different from the Toyota brake problem that was created by bad engineering – in the tenure of Wantanabe who wanted to increase sales rather than make better products.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote