View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #300
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Mormonism is just like any other religion: there are good honest people who can think for themselves and there are crazy fundamentalist assholes who feel they need to everyone to adhere to their beliefs. I grew up with two Mormons, in Wisconsin not Utah, and they were not extreme by any means. One was actually good friends with a gay guy as well.

I can't find the original article about Huntsman and his faith that I read but this one basically says the same thing (at least from what I skimmed over):

Quote:
Huntsman has called his adherence to Mormon practices “tough to define.’’ He has described himself as more spiritual than religious and as someone who gets “satisfaction from many different types of religions and philosophies.’’

The former Utah governor’s seeming ambivalence has surprised and disappointed many members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, some of whom have questioned whether Huntsman is trying to distance himself from his church for political gain. But others welcome his ambiguity: For them, it highlights a growing debate about whether this relatively new religion can accommodate a more elastic definition of what it means to be Mormon.
http://articles.boston.com/2011-08-1...mormon-circles