View Single Post
Old 09-29-2002, 12:12 AM   #8
Xugumad
Punisher of Good Deeds

Quote:
Undertoad
One thing you've been short on, if I recall your posting correctly, is your own proposal. So, what would your approach be?
I understand that my posts are sometimes (overly?) verbose; whilst skimming them, it's easy to overlook my actual opinion amongst deconstructivist neo-realist international relations theory.

My proposal, incredibly simplified, can be found in <a href="http://www.cellar.org/showthread.php?threadid=2158&pagenumber=2">this</a> post, which I wrote yesterday (following up your own question, by the way):

Quote:
Undertoad
Would it not then be the US' moral obligation to go in and correct its terrible errors?

Xugumad
Here is one piece of information that I haven't told you yet, since you seem to be automatically assuming that I am against war in Iraq: I am fully behind an UN intervention in Iraq, under two conditions:

That UN troops are stationed for several decades there, to protect democracy, personal freedoms, and ensure stability. (akin to Germany, after-WW2)

That all other dictatorships in the region are also removed and replaced by democratically elected regimes; with UN troops stationed in force in all those democracies.

If you remove one tumor, but leave all the others intact, the cancer will spread again. Yes, it's the moral duty of the US and UN to go in, and deal with that evil - since I consider dictatorships and murderous dictators to be evil. But the proposed half-fix is an obvious PR ploy, and will cause more evil than good in the region.
Yes, it's simplistic - and yes, it's dangerous, expensive, and near-impossible to achieve politically. A few more terrorist attacks on US soil might just be the motivator that will achieve that, however. Anything less will cause more anti-Americanism in those who are a true danger to the US. The only alternative to it is a return to true political isolationism not seen since the inter-war period. If there is to be a Pax Americana, it cannot be half-baked. Therein lies the real danger to America's safety, and I pray that the people in charge will understand this.

X.
Xugumad is offline   Reply With Quote