Thread: Today I Learned
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #68
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Ugh..

Yeah, plungers *are* gross, but your preferred alternative sounds like a far riskier proposition. Putting More water into an already partly, maybe mostly full bowl with a finite capacity sounds dangerous. Sure, it's *possible* to drown a fire with gasoline, but I don't want to try it.

The toilet in our house can only take.... small bites, shall we say. Flush early and often. I don't ration the toilet paper, but the toilet does. And when it does, it is almost always during some point in the drain part of the flush cycle, leaving some material and some quantity of water in the bowl. Then the recharge/refill part of the cycle continues, refilling the bowl.

To me, moving that mess down the road with the minimum fuss, overflow, and nasty splashing (how the hell do you keep the splashing down?!) means using the plunger, carefully. The plunger can be, and is, cleaned afterward.

The worst case is when that early and often plan is begun not early enough and the second flush only lights the fuse of the bomb your sitting on. Detecting the detonation by the soaking of the scrotum in a big bowl full of filth is one of the worst surprises *ever*.

There's no time to find and fill a bucking fucket.