Thread: Camping
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 10:58 AM   #316
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
Thanks! It was a nice one. Compared to the original one I booked, this one is a damn palace!

I actually haven't slept in it at all. It's a bit too exposed for me, but I really would like too. I had a tent that was set up, but it wasn't impressive, so there's no pic. I find it incredibly cold actually. Might be because every time I go camping it rains. I tried a sleeping pad, but it took away the hammockness of it. I have an extra twin comforter I am going to try next weekend for a bit of insulation.
Hi bbro!

You really are a camper now, not just some city slicker who's survived an extended day trip. Well done! Your approach is clearly working, try something, take notes, adapt. xoB's right on the money, do what works for you. And keep contributing to this thread! I don't comment much but I read it all with pleasure.

As for the hammock and the sleeping in a hammock...

I've tried, and I found sleeping on the ground a lot nicer. Like you, I found it cold. I sleep cold at all times anyhow and being up in the air made it colder. Also, I'm a side sleeper by preference, and the hammock's not suited for that. Well, the hammock could care less, my spine cares much, much more. Even if I could turn over more easily, I think it would be problematic. I will say that this newer style of hammock I think you have which has a superabundance of lighter, stronger material makes resting in the hammock perpendicular to the attachment points easier. I've tried that, it's comfy. Haven't had the chance to sleep in one that way, but I'd be willing to try.