View Single Post
Old 03-26-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
North Carolina proved the mail in system can be manipulated.
I'm not talking about absentee ballots. That were illegally requested. And illegally mailed.

I live in a state that's been exclusively voting by mail for twenty years.
Quote:
* 2000 Oregon becomes the first state in the nation to conduct a presidential election entirely by mail. About 80% of registered voters participated.

Measure 60 eliminated restrictions on vote-by-mail and established it as the single form of voting for elections in Oregon. It also required vote-by-mail to be used for biennial primaries and general elections as well as eliminating polling places.
It has bipartisan support, and people vote more often because of it:

Quote:
A survey done in 2003 ... 81% of respondents favored the vote-by-mail system. 19% favored voting at the polls. The poll also shows high favorability among both registered Democrats (85%) and Republicans (76%). 30% of respondents said they voted more often since vote-by-mail was enacted.
I get a voting packet in the mail. Each candidate is listed and has a standard form bio/statement of positions. Each ballot measure has dozens of pages of debate points both 'for' and 'against'. If you want to do your own research, you have weeks to do so, at your own pace, in your own time. Sit down with your packet and a web browser and take notes. Make a spreadsheet. Discuss with your family. Pray, meditate, wait for inspiration. Days pass, weeks pass. Read articles, do soul-searching. When you're ready, fill it out, sign it and mail it. Or just drop it in a ballot mailbox outside your county courthouse.

Imagine doing all that in 30 seconds in a cramped voting booth while you're late to work and just waited in line for two hours, the machine is broken, they "don't have your name" on the list of registered voters, and you can't even decipher the obtuse wording of the ballot measure.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote