View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 06:09 PM   #33
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla
Oh, and one last note: don't use short words. Use the right words, regardless of brevity or of sesquipedalianism. Assume I have the sophistication and vocabulary of a William F. Buckley, and act on that assumption. Where we (excluding tw and one or two others who aren't putting a dog in the fight) differ is not in mental powers, but in worldview. Don't misplace your priorities: our foes represent unfreedom, and the last war we lost to the unfreedom-creeps meant two separate, unconscionable massacres: North Vietnam committed genocide against "enemies of the state" in 1959 and again in 1975. In 1975-79 that also generated a million refugees from a shitheaded social philosophy and its murderousness, and not much less than that in 1959. My point is that our enemies do not have a legitimate grievance or point of view; therefore I show them a hard face. They are not to be allowed to oppress us or anyone else. If they insist on it, they must insist from the gibbet -- to the carrion crows.
You are right, we do differ in worldview. Not on the subject that we have enemies, and that they are to be confronted and defeated. But on quantity and means. You see enemies where others do not. You contend that the end, torture, justifies the means, intel, and others do not.

Are you inferring that I use the wrong words? Are you inferring that short words are not the right words? This is an example where reasonable people can differ on this subject: what the right words are. There's room for disagreement, and likely, more than one right answer. But this example stands in stark contrast to the issue of torture. Reasonable people can not disagree on its validity. There is no reasonable justification of torture. No non-hypothetical example that doesn't represent a loaded question. Torture is wrong. America does not stand for wrong, how have we permitted ourselves stand for torture?

A previous discussion of torture here, and my own thoughts here and here, among others. You should read it. You would learn much of my thoughts on the issue, and I have not changed my mind in the interim.