View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 09:31 PM   #24
Babs
looking for Howard Roark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
In some remote cultures (maybe not now, but recently) it was totally OK to eat long-pig. So. If that's part of their culture, why shouldn't they be allowed to practice it? Who are WE to impose our rules on THEM? Who are we to say ethnic cleansing isn't wrong? If a country hates a certain group of inferior or non-indigenous people, shouldn't they be, culturally speaking, allowed to keep their culture "pure"? If it is Islamic law to kill your daughter for flirting or having premarital sex or whatever....if that is their CULTURE, they should continue with impunity. What of the African tribes who practice clitorectomy as part of their culture? Who the HELL are we to try to stop it???

many questions come up when we are talking "culture"
I agree with you mostly, except for the female genital mutilation. The problem with that is how it's done... Mother's often tempt young girls out the house with promises of treats/etc and the next thing the young girl knows, people are holding her down and slicing her clitoris off, sometimes with a piece of glass. This procedure is rarely down with any anesthesia or pain killers... And the whole reason for it is to make sex painful/unpleasurable for women so their husbands can be sure they won't cheat. This practice makes me very sad. It's unlike other cultural things because there is no avoiding it with good behavior. There is no choice. You can get it done in America, but you have to be an adult. Considering I'm a woman who very much appreciates her clitoris, it breaks my heart to think of all the women who have it taken away.
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote