View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 11:43 AM   #55
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I cut the truss rod groove today. I had to slow down and think it through, and then I needed to go procure a few things to make a jig I can reuse. Took me 3 days of ruminating and 2 1/2 hours of grubbing around Lowe's to get to where I felt ready.
Thing was, I had the neck traced out on the blank, and went ahead and cut out the head stock cuz I wanted to do that last stuff I did ^^, but I didn't think to align the center line. I could have used the edge of the blank as a guide for the router. It wasn't far off, so I think I could have faked it if I had decided to re draw it parallel to the edge, but I figured that if I made a jig, I could probably use it for future projects.

So I made a jig. I got 2 of these :

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BORA-2-25-in-Clamp/50092628

And a bunch of hardware I didn't use... For this job at least...

The rail clamps onto a board, and then there are tracks that accept a bolt. This is a 1/4" #20 x 2.5"

I bought a board made of some kind of light plastic because I wanted it to be slippery and straight. $22 for a 5/4 x 4x8. Cut that into 2 3' rails and attached these brackets. I set it on the neck because I knew that was flat and taped them. Cut out the screw holes and mounted them.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote