View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 01:00 AM   #45
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
Bruce : I know, but isn't that the church that 'fathered' a lot of our current religious communities? (Here in the States, I mean).
Yes, but through the reformation and subsequent splits, the church isn't The church anymore.
Quote:
This was just a thought that occurred to me as I was reading the posts in this thread. I'm still always baffled...just like Flint is, by how difficult is to get people off religious dogma even when it cant be substantiated or goes against what is considered common knowledge now (like that the Grand Canyon is only 4,500 years old).
Probably lack of education and laziness.
Coberst expounded on the value of a "quest for disinterested knowledge". There is a whole lot of people that aren't interest in learning anything besides the sports scores, or what time Wheel of Fortune is on, if it doesn't relate to their job.

There is the problem that scientific knowledge is a moving target, constantly being updated, often changing what they previously thought was true. If you just catch the headlines, it can lead to confusion and mistrust of the scientific community.
For example, I'm hearing a lot of that about Global Warming. People saying, hey they said global cooling was a problem, then warming is a problem... those scientists don't know shit.

Oh, and juju works for the devil itself.