View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007, 01:36 PM   #20
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

Statistically, people click more on threads that use the thread icons. That's why spammers always use them.

It also always helps to have something that sounds racy, even if it really isn't. Like "Should I take it all off?" for a thread about getting a haircut, or "Does size matter?" for a thread about SUVs.

On some other forums (fora?) I go to, they use brackets to indicate the subject matter of a thread, for instance "[Basketball] Anyone watching the Finals?" or "[Midwest] Drought finally over." That takes away from the curiosity-click factor, but makes it easier for people who might want to participate in the thread to find it and post in it.

There are also factors mostly outside of the poster's control, such as reputation -- if everybody likes you (or sees you as a fascinating train wreck), they'll click your threads. For instance, I always click Ibram's threads because I think he usually has something interesting to say. And sometimes you just happen to be the person to first hear about breaking news, like when I posted about the V-Tech shootings.

Can you tell I've put too much time into this? It's only partly because moderating a forum and wiki is part of my job, too...
Hime is offline   Reply With Quote