Thread: God? Faith?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2005, 02:43 PM   #4
glatt

The more I think about it, the more I think that there is no God, but since I was raised to believe in God, I have a difficult time coming right out and saying what is almost certainly true. Call me superstitious, but I don't feel comfortable coming right out and saying it. After watching Candyman the movie, I also had a hard time looking into a mirror and saying "Candyman" three times. I have also knocked on wood before too. I put all of these things in the same category, with denying God a little higher up on the taboo list than the others. Maybe that makes me a wimp because I lack convictions.

Now that I'm a dad, I've had to decide whether to raise my kids in any organized religion. My wife has stronger faith than me (which is not very hard) and we are taking the kids to church every week. The kids like church, and the message they get there is basically a good one, so I play along. I'm even somewhat involved in church, which is funny given my lack of faith. I help set up for special ceremonies, am helping to renovate some rooms, have done some readings, etc.

The way I figure it, I live the life of a good christian: I mean, I vote Democrat, I help the poor, I'm nice, I go to church. If God does exists, he should give me a break for being a good guy. If he doesn't (exist), well then it doesn't matter, does it?

I voted for "I want to believe, but have found no evidence of God " even though I have no special desire to believe anything.

Last edited by glatt; 02-17-2005 at 03:55 PM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote