View Single Post
Old 12-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #383
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Lamplighter, I welcome your disagreement. Good thing too, because we have one here.

I'll take your last statement first. Bye bye minor parties. Presto, magico, the future is here. The minor parties ***are already gone***. Look at Buddy Romer. Because he doesn't have the endorsement of the Party, he's going nowhere. What is the value of a Party anyhow? Why is it desirable to have one, major or minor? Aren't we all supposed to be working for our collective good of the nation, for federal elections of course.

The ability to crush a minor party candidate as you outline is extremely likely, easy even. And that would suck for the minor party. But let me ask you this, why do we have primaries even? If there were a minor party, how many candidates for their party nomination would they likely have? By definition they're minor already. Might there be two competing Fraxion candidates vying for the Fraxious Party nomination? Maybe. How much can be lost?

I guess I'm just not a fan of the party line voting. In fact, Washington will have no primary this year. Bye bye minor party? Screw that, bring on the General Election. If I had to choose a primary system, I'd choose something like the "Montana Primary" where the top two vote getters advance to the general election, party be damned. But that didn't fly here either.

I'm voting for a person, a person will be governing, not a party. Or, at least I believe it should be the person, not the party.