Thread: Gastric Bypass
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #46
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

Thanks for the kind words, and also for making me laugh. Thanks for the prayers, they helped. All of your posts in this thread were wonderfully helpful and supportive, and I appreciate your thoughts and time. You rock, thank you.

My mom is 2 days out of surgery and home now, She is down to 10 units of her diabetes medication from a shot at each meal and 100 units at night. Hopefully at the next doctor's appointment she has, they will tell her that she will no longer needs it. (Sidenote: She said that the surgeon came to see her after, and he told her that during surgery, her blood sugar would spike really high, and then crash again, and repeat, and she really scared him. He said he hadn't realized that her blood was so uncontrollable. She laughed and said "well that's why I got the surgery.")

She is a little sore (obviously) but she's doing well and is only taking aspirin, she is not using the uberpainkillers that they gave her, unless she needs to (which she hasn't yet). She's happy, and lost 1 pound so far.

That said, joelguy, you should really read a thread before you contribute to it. My family has a type of diabetes that cannot be controlled by diet OR exercise no matter how much "disipline", "motivation", or "magic beans" you try to shake at it. Thanks for the advice though, I guess. (Cause we totally never thought of eating right or exercising before we considered the dangerous surgery and hacking out bits of organs.)