View Single Post
Old 04-30-2016, 03:07 PM   #6
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
However, You wanna talk about vagina art? This guy is not only The Best Artist but he is a champion of the vagina in art.

When I was about 17 I met him and hung out at his studio from time to time, He was at the time, and I'm sure still is, an exceptional person. When you read about him in art criticism magazines he is almost categorically dismissed. It's easy to look at his work with a cynical eye, and think he, like a lot of other artists was in it for the recognition.

Granted, I was only a teenager but the guy I met was passionate about his beliefs, very emotional about rights and wrongs, and was, in my opinion, trying to open people's minds, get them to engage, and think. Think about sex, religion, art, ideas, life, what is important and what isn't. He railed against hypocrisy in the church and the art world.

Looking at the current incarnation of his website, I can't say I fully understand it, but I recall that he liked to be elusive about meaning; it keeps people thinking and asking, I guess.

You have to hunt around with the links but some of his vagina paintings are there, although small. The thing that is unfortunate is that none of his small pen and ink drawings of vaginas are there. They were astounding small drawings about 2 to 3 inches high, as I remember, of vaginal lips. He used a pointillist technique and the lips became gateways, creatures like butterflies (I am not 100% clear on all of the details, but remember being blown away by them.

All that being said, no one holds a candle to the Catholics when it comes to vagina art. You don't even have to squint to see the unmistakable form.