View Single Post
Old 01-26-2004, 10:26 AM   #63
wolf
lobber of scimitars

One falls into the right job, at the right time.

13 years ago I had no idea such a job existed.

I mean I knew people went to nuthouses and ended up there, and on occasion joked about so-and-so being "certifiable."

Well ... don't ever get complacent about having a nice job with computers that don't talk back at you (much).

I had one of those jobs on a particular Friday morning.

That Friday afternoon, I didn't.

So I went through the whole unemployment thing, but needed more money than they were going to give me ... friend of mine said there was a receptionist job at the hospital where she worked.

"I won't have to deal with any of the patients, will I?"

"Nope, you'll be upstairs. Administration doesn't have anything to do with patients."

That was 12 years ago ...

Turned out that once I started having contact with patients, I kind of liked it, and I was fascinated by what was going on downstairs ... got cross trained to work as a psych tech and started a master's degree in Clinical Psychology within two years of starting there.

Wandered around from dept to dept and job to job a bit, and found my niche in Crisis/Commitment.

Commitment Officer was part of the natural progression up the corporate food chain. And I think it's cool.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote