View Single Post
Old 01-26-2014, 02:01 AM   #19
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

Sorry, Lamplighter, but the bridge is South of Carmel over Bixby Creek. Maybe there's another one up north, but this one is south, between Carmel and Big Sur.

Sexobon said: "I used to motorcycle across it on a fairly regular basis when I lived in Monterey. Great ride, really let the good times roll (yes, I rode a Kawasaki ... GPZ 750 R1). "

Ah, memories. I rode down Hwy 1 to Hearst's Castle (San Simeon) on the back of a motorcycle. Absolutely amazing ride. One of the most beautiful experiences I've had. And to think I rode the whole way without a helmet. It was before such things were insisted upon by all.

xoxoxoBruce said: "I wonder how many Redwoods died for that bridge?"

They may not have used redwoods. Just south of Carmel there is a huge, densely wooded canyon (Palo Canyon) and I'll bet that's where they got the trees.

When we explored the canyon we found signs of long-ago logging, bridges made of whole logs, ruins of cabins, lots of stumps and roads that were at one time clear for driving.

I don't remember what kind of trees were in the canyon . . . maybe they were redwoods, but it seems to me there were other trees in that area.

Just guessing, though.