View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 02:57 PM   #6
AlternateGray
red-shirt guy

I can't vouch for the national guard (their benefits are almost totally dependent on their state), but active duty gets everything paid for- tuition, books, etc but only while you're in. Local classes, including many professional courses (e.g., certifications), are usually included. eArmyU (online)tuition cap is 4,500 a year, books free. "After service" assistance depends on your contract, for instance my original contract was 40,000 for college, but that goes up as the g.i. bill benefits increase.

Some states do actually offer the same or similar programs-but states have been known to run into budget problems and it turns into a re-imbursement program. Which sound illegal, but I guess it depends on the contract.

skysidhe- honestly, there's a silly number of jobs in the army that involve about as much risk as... well, a cubicle job. If someone joins a "bullet-catcher" MOS for college money, they're an idiot; and that's usually the very first thing your drills will tell you. And the reason they offer the loan-repayment is because the cap for that program is higher- 65,000 when I joined. Don't know what it is now. Again, that's AD, though.