View Single Post
Old 08-13-2015, 10:45 AM   #49
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beest View Post
On our recent vacation in rural western Michigan, we had one incident where the GPS tried to guide us to our campsite down a tiny track you could maybe have got a Jeep down.

There were several instances where we would come to a four way junction on the GPS and there would be only 3 or 2 visible roads, the other direction was just a field.

Once we stopped trusting it entirely and used map in parallel it was OK
Unfortunately, many people seem to surrender their powers of independent thought and accept what the electronic gizmo tells them to do, to the point of ignoring the evidence of their own eyes.

Locally there is a narrow lane with a couple of houses and a farm entrance. This lane peters out into a rough track and connects the first farm with another on the same estate.

On a number of occasions cars have ventured up there because the satnav told their drivers to do so, despite it being obvious to those with eyes to see, that it is totally unsuited to anything but tractors and agricultural 4 x 4 vehicles.

A few weeks ago I was out with my canine guest at the point where the track becomes unsuitable for cars, when I saw a Saab approaching.

The driver stopped and asked me if he was heading in the right direction for the other farm, but I gently advised him to take the alternative route via the main road if he didn't want to lose his sump.

Quite why this track is shown in satnav systems isn't clear, but no doubt somebody will try again very soon.

The surface is chalk and perilous in wet weather which tends to offer a character forming driving experience.

Last edited by Carruthers; 08-13-2015 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Minoe omission corrected.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote