Thread: On Morality
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2004, 09:11 AM   #41
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
I see at least two levels that right/wrong can stand on.

First, there's societal perception of right/wrong. A society functions because if guidelines and rules that it imposes on itself. Bear in mind, these can be ANY rule or guideline. Second, there's the individual perception of right/wrong. A personal morality functions because if the guidelines and rules one imposes on oneself. Again, these can be ANY rule or guideline.

This being the case, the whole what is good/what is bad issue becomes largely subjective. And in THAT case, the reason why good people do bad things is because that's how its perceived by someone looking on, based on his/her morals which are influenced by (not necessarily molded after) the person's society's morals.

Let's say Mr. Generic here is a 'good' person; he's a fine philanthropist, attends church regulary and often, loves his mother, dotes on his wife and kids, is a favorite among his coworkers, etc... What if Mr. Generic does 63 in 55 mph highway zone? Is this a bad thing? Yes, because it's clearly stated the legal speed limit is 55 and he's going faster than that, a lawbreaker. Breaking the law is 'bad'. No, because the traffic is moving at 60-65 and he isn't posing a hazard by blocking a lane on the highway. Helping to reduce congestion on the highway is 'good' (can I get an AMEN, No. VA residents!). It's all how you (or the person next to you) look at it.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote