View Single Post
Old 07-10-2015, 02:14 PM   #4
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Seriously, let's step back a bit and pose this suggestion:

"I have a great idea. Let's put as much personal, super private, critical information as we can into a single location and store it in such a way that it can be effortlessly copied and sent around the globe at near light speed, and get rid of all that tiresome paper and filing cabinets and having to manually retrieve and copy documents, and the vast warehouses needed to store them and the incredible amount of time and resources needed to move or copy said documents from one place the the next. What could possibly go wrong?"

I hate to harp on a fantastic book that all of you should have read by now, Available for free download here

He begins the book:
Quote:
I was born in 1936. At that time there were no jet airplanes and com-
mercial plane travel was effectively nonexistent. There were no com-
puters, no space satellites, no microwave ovens, no electric typewriters, no
Xerox machines, no tape recorders. There were no stereo music systems
nor compact disks. There was no television in 1936. No space travel, no
atomic bomb, no hydrogen bomb, no "guided missiles," as they were first
called, no "smart" bombs. There were no fluorescent lights, no washing
machines nor dryers, no Cuisinarts, no VCRs. There was no air condi-
tioning. Nor were there freeways, shopping centers, or malls. There were
no suburbs as we know them. There was no Express Mail, no fax, no tele-
phone touch dialing, no birth-control pill. There were no credit cards, no
synthetic fibers. There were no antibiotics, no artificial organs, no pesti-
cides or herbicides. That was fifty-five years ago. During my lifetime all
of this changed.
He goes on to describe the way that new technology was sold to the public who accepted any new technology as inherently good and desirable without ever questioning the possible implications of adopting the technology. He gives an example of a think tank study done about how the introduction of the telephone would change the character of our society, pros and cons, yet the results of that study were kept from the public who got only the pro side of the technology.

This si still going on today, IMO, reviews on Amazon are not the same thing as rational discourse. We just accept any new technology without question because new is always better.