View Single Post
Old 10-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I can see that in my own family. Gramps had no use for them while doing his business of selling firewood in the city. He often cautioned me about them, although when a black neighbor (only one in town) lost his wife, then his land, Gramps gave him a piece of land to live on.
Judgmental of them as a group, but willing to accept a man of any color, based on that man's behavior/qualities. The catch 22 is, when you are distrustful of a group, you may never have a chance to learn one man's qualities.

Pop had some black men working for him. Some were good workers, some were bums (duh), and he treated them accordingly. He wouldn't do anything to try and prevent it, but would really rather they didn't move in next door. I think that's because his shop was in a poor neighborhood, and he was critical of the way the neighbors lived with trash/junk in the yards and vacant lots.

I see good and bad comes in all colors, but I was chafed by the favoritism shown minorities at work. If I got caught breaking a rule, I had to suffer the consequences. If a black man did the same, the reps in the black employees association would pull an Al Sharpton, threaten to go to the labor relations board, and the company would back down immediately. Of course the company would never sanction a white employees association.
There was only a very small percentage of the black men that were a problem, and some were as disgusted with the situation as I was, but it still made me resentful.

I would like to think if I had a kid in his twenties he'd be tolerant, but realistically that would depend on his exposure and experiences.